This is the final video clip from the Dell Services Application think tank held earlier this year. Today’s clip features the always enlightening and entertaining Jimmy Pike. Jimmy, who is a Senior Fellow at Dell and was once called the Willy Wonka of servers, was one of the 10 panelists at the Think Tank where we discussed the challenges of the new app-centric world.
In this clip, Jimmy talks about the fundamental differences between “purpose-built hyperscale” and the cloud environments that most organizations use.
As Jimmy points out, when moving to the cloud it is important to first understand your business requirements and what your SLAs need to be.
If you’re interested in hearing what else Jimmy has to say, check out this other clip from the think tank, The persistently, ubiquitously connected to the network era.
The Think Tank, Sessions one and two
- Think Tank Session 1- Welcome to the application-centric world – best practices in the ‘greenfield’
- Think tank Session 2- Nexus of forces – CIOs under pressure and the rise of the enterprise developer
Extra-credit reading (previous videos)
- App Think Tank: Why would I ever build another data center?
- App Think Tank: Legacy platforms and modern cloud systems
- App Think Tank: Intel IT turns apps into services
- App Think Tank: The importance of application rationalization
- App Think Tank: Key application policies at Intel and American Cancer Society
- App Think Tank: Open Source all the way
- App Think Tank: The skills the CIO of the future needs
- App Think Tank: The skills and people IT needs most
- App Think Tank: What a CIO must do
Pau for now…